Friday, November 28, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny Part 2: Will my ‘no clothes’ challenge affect the economy?

John L. wrote to me on Wednesday shortly after my column hit the street or landed on his porch.

He wondered if my ‘buy nothing’ approach would negatively affect the economy.

I put pen to paper.

Hi John,

I appreciate your thoughtful email. My 'buy nothing' [for awhile] action is certainly connected to complex issues.

In the article 'Being Frugal a Means of Survival' [Monday's Free Press] I read, "That kind of scrimping may be good for stressed family budgets, but it's bad for the overall economy in the United States".

Less spending may seem to be bad but worse, of course, for the US economy and now our own, was the proven action of money lenders, who negatively affected millions of home owners and sent US Treasury farther into debt with the subsequent bailout.

"The best thing is for Canadians to keep spending, sensibly of course, to stimulate the economy," wrote Glen Hall [St. Thomas] in Letters to the Editor, Nov. 15, same day I participated in my own No Clothing Day.

He's right, to some degree, but makes me wonder - when have Canadians ever spent sensibly?


Per capita debt has never been higher (leaving more people vulnerable to a slowdown that ever before), square footage of homes has radically increased in the last 40 years (requiring more stuff to fill rooms), more food fills our plates than necessary (there are higher percentages of over-weight, obese and morbidly obese people each year), and similar trends relate to our choice and production of vehicles and communication tools.

Ramifications of less spending by consumers may affect social agencies but so did deliberate government policy in Ontario in the 1990s, when more people found it necessary to visit the local food bank after support and services were cut.

In my opinion, corporate greed, government policy and rampant consumerism affect the economy in many negative ways. 

And though less consumerism may not seem like it's fully a positive step at this time I think that for our long-term benefit it is one of the courses we should diligently pursue.

I'll present a parliamentarian's point of view re the recession in next week's column. Hope you'll give it a read.

Thanks again for your comment , John. 

The UNMs (unmentionables) are all in order.

Cheers,

Gord Harrison

.

I think I'm on the right track. Do you?

2 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

Yes, I DO think you are on the right track!

And the post below about your wife really gave me a laugh. Thank-you.

BTW, just wanted you to know that I picked your illustration theme: "wee Frankie's hands" for my next b/w illustration. But it will take me awhile, because in between drawing his hands, I will also be washing spaghetti off of them, and such! So anyway, congratulations on a good idea. You seem to be full of theme!

G. Harrison said...

my wife usually 'gets' my attempts at humour and said she isn't trying to kill me... yet.

"Keep it up, wise guy," is all she said.

I thought Frankie's hands would be a lovely sketch, something you and he would appreciate more and more as years 'fly' by.

I look forward to seeing the finished product, if you can keep his hands clean and still!

cheers,

Gord H.