Sunday, November 16, 2008

One week’s worth of small pleasures Part 7

Besides the six small pleasures already listed in previous posts [see below] I’m certain I could stretch the list to 101 without much trouble.

Tea breaks on a boulder beach.


(Next summer - same tea, different beach in Killarney Provincial Park).

Small bits of frozen dark chocolate.

(My wife and are still working on a Cadbury’s bar. Tomorrow night - Swiss).

Cutting my own hair.

(Though it’s hair today and gone tomorrow I won’t need another trim for 4 - 5 weeks).

Listening to music at the push of a button.

(Now playing: Two Hearts [live] by Bruce Springsteen).

Reading and responding to the daily paper.

(The London Free Press and The Londoner).

Playing hockey with other kids my age.

(Friday’s game was pretty quick but I handled the pace. One player said I skate like the Energizer Bunny. He is now on my Christmas card list).

I’d mention family, friends, the gift of life, writing, motorcycling and retirement but those are all large pleasures and deserve a book rather than a few lines.

However, since retirement I’ve spent much spare time in my workshop and have turned scraps of wood into a few useful items and enjoyed most every minute in the process.


And since I’m planning to expand my work space (outdoors onto a larger roofed deck) in the next few weeks, whether it snows or not, I guess it’s fair to say I’m hooked.


One project always seems to lead to another, then another.

Small pleasures never seem to end.

Cheers,

Gord H.

***

Start your own list and count the blessings. Tell me how many.

.

1 comment:

sealaura said...

very nice post. Counting our blessings is so helpful at this time when it feels like the chips are down.