Monday, November 10, 2008

One week’s worth of small pleasures

Part 1

I wasn’t dying at 10 p.m. Saturday night because my life didn’t flash before my eyes - not even times in the ‘60s when it felt perfectly cool to wear my shirt open to the waist - but it sure felt that way when a 4mm gall stone clogged a pipe and sent me to Emerg.

Needless to say I survived, was given miles of advice (“What? I can’t eat 3 bags of bbq chips during a Leafs’ game?”), pills and a pat on the head for being a nice patient.

Case in point: On the way back from ultrasound the overworked fellow pushing my gurney got lost in the childrens’ ward.

“You’re not supposed to be here,” a nurse said to him sharply.

“I just wanted a quick tour,” I said.

I gave her a thumbs up and said, “Keep up the good work.”

(I didn’t say, “Life’s too short to have your hair on so tight” because I was pleasantly drugged at the time.)

We escaped Nastyville without further hassle.

Now that I’m safely home, enjoying Week 1 of the next chapter of my medium-sized life and saying no to anything that looks like it contains fat and cholesterol, I’d like to share seven small pleasures I’d like to see flash before my eyes someday.

Number 1


The 30-minute tea break on a boulder beach that seemed like two hours.


Motorcycling in Canada, the Land of Twigs, holds many pleasures but this is one of my favourites because time stood still.

.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH NO!

Glad you're recovered.

What's that apparatus you're using to make the tea?

Theresa said...

Whew! Glad you made it through all that! Can you bring oatmeal to the Leafs' games instead? ;)

Lovely photos as usual -- I too am curious about the tea apparatus - at first glance I thought it was a smelter of some kind!

G. Harrison said...

I'm happy to say I recovered quickly and feel back to normal, whatever that is.

the Kelly kettle (sold through Lee Valley) holds water around an inner chimney, down which you can toss twigs to keep the fire going.

the small version (1 L) fits nicely inside my motorcycle's saddlebag. indispensible.

i took it on a 9 day camping trip with no other camp stove but was tired of soup by the end of the trip.

cheers,

gord h.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Lee Valley. And I was so trying not to buy anything ..... hmm, I think I can get around this by purchasing it for my husband's birthday .... it'll be well used - so would that count as a necessary purchase?

G. Harrison said...

jesse, you'll both get a lifetime of good use out of it.

cheers,

gord h.

Mojo said...

Are you sure it was the chips and not the Leafs that did it to ya? I kid. A little.

That little stove is an ingenious piece of gear! Definitely bears checking out.

And you'll be interested in my Wordless photo today. It speaks to (after a fashion) one of your pet causes. I didn't intend to make a statement with it when I was shooting it, but it worked out pretty well anyway.

G. Harrison said...

ouch. as if i wasn't hurting enough, the Leafs fell to the Canes last week, but it's early days for a young team (with promise).

i'll post another view of the Kelly kettle in case you have plenty of twigs about and a thirst for tea.

and check out mojo's wordless photo today. he knows how to take a picture.

cheers,

gord