Saturday, January 9, 2010

Beers of the World: Searching for a glass of fine beer in London

I was given a gift certificate of generous size for Christmas. Ahhh, lovely.

Though valid at several stores I zeroed in on the fact I could redeem it at Chapters and there are few recreational activities I like more than browsing amongst book shelves with a tall dark roast in hand. Lovely, lovely.

Last week I purchased Beers of the World by David Kenning for $19.99 knowing the pictures alone of some of the 350 beers described within would bring me great pleasure.


["Beers of the World; well, 350 anyway": photos GAH]

I’m now reading the second section (American beers) of twenty in all, so have many miles to go, but already I’ve been dreaming about a road trip - by motorcycle - to a few breweries in Canada (section one) and the US in order to sample the wares first hand.

And very likely when I read about Irish beers I’ll want to go to Ireland and when I read about Scottish beers I’ll want to go there and find an amiable pub with a quiet corner where I can sip and write, and sip and write some more.

Isn't that the way?


But like I said, I have many miles to go and there are easier ways to sample beers from around the world than travel to every brewery the book mentions.

For example, I have five cans of beer leftover from Christmas and I’ll just walk downstairs right now and get me one.

Starting the search for a glass of fine beer can't get much easier than that, can it?

If it can, please let me know!

Today’s selection - Bass Imported Pale Ale

Price - $2.40 incl. 10 cent deposit for 500 ml

The can says - Est.d 1777, 5.1% a/v, product of Great Britain, brewed by InBev, Luton, England.

The can also says - "Bass Pale Ale has a rich amber colour with a lovely malt and hop aroma. Bass is U.K.’s #1 exported ale, selling in over 30 countries worldwide. Since it was first brewed in 1777, Bass Ale has been painted by Manet and Picasso, loved by Napoleon, served on the Titanic, and taken on the Antarctic expedition by Sir Ernest Shakelton.”

Beers of the World says - “most famous of british ales... its red triangle is trademark no. 1 in the UK... local water gives Bass beers their characteristic sulfurous aroma... top-fermented with a sweet, fruity aroma (and more).


["I stashed Bass Ale under the sand to keep them cool": GAH, 1969]

I say - I had my first bottle of Bass Ale on Horseshoe Beach in Bermuda in April, 1969. (I'm glad my first glass of Bass Ale was not upon the Titanic.) It was a much tastier beer than I was used to drinking, i.e, Carling Red Cap Ale and whatever beer the bootlegger from Norwich, Ontario sold me off his back porch at $14 per case from 1967 - 68. I still like the colour, malty taste and aroma of Bass Ale, will buy it again, but wish it was turned up another notch.

What do you say about Bass Imported Pale Ale?

***

Name a beer from your own Top Ten.

.

No comments: