Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dear Ann Landers: What’s the deal with my family discount?

At some point last week I got a bit whiny.

(Maybe even more than once).


And when that happens I usually whip off a quick note to Ann Landers because if there’s anyone who can read my mind and cut to the quick it’s that dear old scribe.

Dear Ann,

I create exceptional projects in my shop (some actually hold together for weeks at a time) and send photos to my family because I’m sure they’ll want to be the first to see that I haven’t hurt myself with my power tools.

My oldest sister loved one of my latest birdhouses that looked like our family home, wanted to buy it, and I said, “Sold.”


But because I fell into the habit of giving a family discount in the past I now feel it’s always going to be expected and - dare I say - my brilliant work is undervalued as a result.

What to do?

Sincerely,

Whining in the workshop

***

Dear Whining,

I could hear your sobs all the way to my Upper West Side apartment.

I say, cut it out, and I don’t mean the family discount.

Continue to give 25% off to your family because they are the same people who had to put up with - and this is just my opinion but I bet I’m dead right (I am, after all, Ann Landers) - all of your shenanigans when you all lived under the same roof on Washington Avenue in Norwich.

In fact, 50% off sounds better.

Sincerely right back at ya,

Ann

.

No comments: