Monday, January 25, 2010

Searching for a glass of fine beer in London: Glass 3

[Posts inspired by BEERS OF THE WORLD by David Kenning]


Question: Would you walk or drive to a beer store in Peterborough, Ontario, to buy a lovely glass of the beer that put the city on the map?

I think the answer from most people would be, no, not unless I live in downtown Peterborough, and at the moment I don’t.

Hey, no problem, I’m in the same boat.

However, if the question was phrased just a bit differently to me, i.e., would I walk to my son’s fridge in Fenelon Falls and open another bottle of KLB Cream Ale (from Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co.), my answer would be, absolutely.


["Smooth, creamy - as advertised": photos by GAH]

KLB Cream Ale is advertised as an all natural ale, made by a small independent brewery dedicated to the highest standards in brewing (which we would all be thankful for if the beer ever found it’s way to London) while using only the finest all-natural ingredients and no additives or preservatives.

If you read the fine print on the label (as if preparing to say, “I’ll take small brewing companies for $1,000, Alex) you’ll learn that the beer is ‘brewed in small batches, with a top-fermenting London ale yeast,’ is non-pasteurized and is known in some parts (i.e., NE of Toronto) as ‘the beer that made Peterborough famous’ (the answer to a final round Daily Double if I ever saw one).


Question: If the beer wasn’t in your son’s fridge would you buy it?

Answer: Yes.

The ale has a lovely amber colour (which is my turf, as opposed to the lighter coloured Boris, glass 2) and a flavourful, hoppy nose. It has a mild, spicy flavour on the tongue and makes an effort to fill the mouth with satisfying goodness.

(Take note: I’ve never said satisfying goodness before. I must like it.)

My son asked, “What do you think of it?”

I said, “Hmmm. Smooth, creamy - as advertised - malty, with no bitter after taste.”

“Like another?” he asked.

At 4.7%, it was impossible to say no.

If you’re looking for a fine glass of beer in London, KLB may be nowhere in sight.

But, when you’re in the Kawarthas, I recommend you try a tall glass.

***

Let me know what you think of it if you find it.

Do you have a favourite glass of beer to recommend to me?

Click here to read about Boris, glass number 2.

.

No comments: