Friday, January 15, 2010

From the Workshop: The family discount is killing me

I admit, it’s my own fault.

When I finish a project in my shop I like to take pictures (so my grandchildren will look at my work in the future and say, “What was Grandpa thinking here?”).

Then I send the pictures to my four sibs by way of saying hello, how are you, look what I can make from rescued lumber, see how I keep so busy, if you see anything you like, yada yada.

Well, my oldest sister loved the birdhouse that looked like our family home. (Apart from the round holes and bottle caps - it’s almost a dead ringer). And my brother, now that he’s moved to an apartment with a wee back yard, want’s a bird feeder that includes a bit of lumber from our dad’s old barn.




And that’s fine. I don’t mind the work. I have the workshop, the tools, the time, the motivation, etc.

It’s just that a few years ago I said to one of my sibs, “Sure, I’ll sell you that birdhouse. I’ll even give you the family discount.

“How much is the discount?” my sister immediately asked. (My gosh, are we acorns from the same tree, or what?)

Well, I honestly didn’t know. Things were happening so fast. Quickly, I just made something up, like “$10 off” or “25% off.”

Now, “the deal” is expected. I don’t mind 10% off or $5 off... well, yes, I do... but they’re family so I’ll drop my price a bit but... stink! What to do?

I actually think I should write to Ann Landers about this problem.

***

What do you think?

Really, I’m asking.

.

No comments: