Saturday, January 23, 2010

Green Ideas 2010: Time to rehash Green Ideas 2009 Part 3

Like I said yesterday, I had several green ideas or goals in 2009 and succeeded admirably in some ways and went belly up in others.

My fifth goal (Preserve Food - I will buy used canning gear and put up (put down, or in?) beans and strawberries) didn’t pan out well because my garden didn’t co-operate - and I blame the weather for that.

I suppose if I had enlarged my garden and chased the squirrels around the neighbourhood early in the morning the garden would have produced more beans and peas.

I did pick up some used, free canning gear from a generous reader and so I am ready for 2010. I bet the squirrels are as well so I’ll add ‘trap a dozen squirrels’ to my 2010 to-do list.

I ran into another snag that was larger than a squirrel while assembling materials for a solar cooker. (Green Idea 6 - I will build a solar oven out of recycled materials, including a bulky wool sweater for insulation).


[“Will a solar cooker heat up my oatmeal?”: photo GAH]

The fellow working on my house reno broke one of the windows I had set aside for the cooker and cut up the plywood I planned to use for the base. So, materials became an issue.

I will think about keeping that task on my 2010 list, but because I may also be increasing the size of my workshop to accommodate a bandsaw and good-sized supply of rescued lumber, I will leave it for a bit.


[“A bigger shop is needed for bigger projects”]

2010 looks like another busy year and - you can count on this - you’ll usually be the first to know what’s going on in the workshop and elsewhere.

***

Do you have great plans for 2010? Let me know.

.

No comments: