Thursday, August 5, 2010

Deforest City Blues: Is it the summer of your discontent? Pt 4

I went to the beach. I had my walk.

I thought about Dee’s comment.

I.e., “We have to do something about this, but what? Does anyone have any suggestions other than griping? I’m open to suggestions.” (July 31, The Summer of Discontent, London Free Press)

So, how can we escape higher taxes, levies and fees?

For the short-term I suggest the following:

First, bitch and moan loudly. In some cases this action seems to make those in charge back pedal and postpone the pain until a later date.

For example; local businesses bitched about higher water rates and local citizens will now pick up the tab for another year; businesses and consumers moaned about eco-fees and they have been shelved by the provincial government for a few months; and Western Fair administrators back pedalled on some admission increases after a hoot and a holler were heard.

Second, win the lottery, because the North American lifestyle is unlikely to grow cheaper in cost. And our governments are in debt up to their collective starched collars and will likely always need lots of money just to stay even.

(History has shown, however, we don’t stay even. We grow deeper in debt more often than we pay it off).

For the long-term I suggest the following actions:

First, drag out your ‘Budget Book for Household Expenses’ (you may call it by a different name at your house, e.g., Lifestyle Log, Monthly Mayhem, The Ever-decreasing Bank Balance, Where Does It $$ All Go, Good-bye Pay Cheque, etc.) and convert regular expenses to a percentage of your regular income.


["You must, you must, you mist keep track": photos GH]

E.g., mortgage - 30% of income, car payment - 11%, TV cable 2%, hydro - 3%... remainder - 2% (insert laugh track here if you’re feeling blue), etc.

Second, list as many ways as possible that you can decrease monthly expenses. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box (You can't afford a box?) or leave no stone unturned.


["Ah, yes. The Ever-declining Balance"]

What would be on my list?

Go back in time and buy a small house that says, “I’m living under my means.” Plant 6 trees.

Right. I’m messing with you. The time machine hasn’t been invented.

However, my wife, two boys and I moved into a 1,050 sq. ft. cottage (my current house, sans the boys) in the 1980s and managed quite well. So, small is good.

It may have helped that I grew up in a seven-room, 950 sq. ft. house (incl. one narrow bathroom) with parents and 4 siblings and learned that ‘living small’ was doable. (And no, we didn’t eat in shifts. Though I did kick my brother’s bunk on occasion to get him to be quiet so I could sleep).

Since homes and apartments tend to be the biggest expense in the average budget book, and directly affect how much we spend for energy, fuel, taxes, etc., we must ask ourselves, what can be done to decrease their cost - without the use of time machines?

You can sell the house and buy a smaller, less-expensive one.
You can rent a cheaper apartment.
You can convert part of your house into an apartment and collect rent.

What else? You tell me.

I know changing how you live is difficult, but if it would help you save money for the tough times ahead it should at least be considered?

There may be easier ways to get out from under.

Let’s go back to that budget book.

What else can be done to cut expenses that just keep on comin’?

Link to Series: Please click here to read Discontent Pt 5

***

Isn’t his fun?

Seeing expenses as a percentage of monthly income does help.

Do the math.

.

No comments: