Friday, August 6, 2010

From The Workshop Pt 3: Just a titch of maple stain, please

I feel a definite buzz whenever I find a piece of discarded lumber that has some life left in it.


["Small bits become homes for humble birds": photos GH]


["12 small bits equals one house"]

While cutting, sanding and assembling I feel another buzz, somewhat muted though, because I’m working, dust is flying up my nose, hammer strikes are occasionally off course.


Finally, I add a coat of linseed oil with just a titch of maple stain and - voila - another great buzz.




Wood grains pop out, colours deepen, what was once a scrap is now a rich-looking, long-lasting home for any bird that can cough up the monthly rent.

And when a chickadee or sparrow starts moving in - buzzzz.

***

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Next project - four- and six-plexes from rescued barnboard.

The workshop will be busy next week.

.

No comments: