Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wind Turbines Pt 1 and the loud call for a pristine view

Love them or hate them, wind turbines are in the news and may soon be parked offshore at a beach near you.

I like standing right under them and taking photos of them as they fade toward the horizon.


["Turbine at Orchard Line, west of Port Burwell": photos GH]

Others like them so far away they can’t be seen.

A recent government proposal “is for the turbines to be five kilometers from shore, but at that distance they would still be visible and would ruin the beautiful views of the lake,” says R. Leduc (Dashwood), Aug. 21, London Free Press.


["Turbines fade away east of Pt. Burwell beach"]

Mr. Leduc wants people to tell the government to place them “far enough from shore so they will still provide the necessary power but not be visible. This would be a win-win solution.”

Wait just a minute.

It would be win-win until Mr. Leduc pays his hydro bill.

Then he’d notice it is inflated due to higher construction and maintenance costs.

First, more far-off turbines would be needed to insure sufficient outputs (hydro is lost from lines as it travels toward its destination; the farther it travels, the more is lost, and we pay for the lost hydro; check your last bill).

Second, crews would need to be dispatched by boat or chopper to distant turbines for any repair.

Do boat and chopper crews work for free? Mr. Leduc’s got money to burn? Not likely.

However, he has likely grown quite accustomed to many other things that long ago spoiled his view.

I bet he’s seen power lines suspended from poles and towers for so many years now he doesn’t even notice them as they wind along his city streets delivering electricity right to a pole attached to his house.

And the 60 - 80 ft. giant metal monsters carrying wires from county to county through fields and forests are likely invisible to him now.


["On a hazy day 30 turbines become invisible at Pt. Bruce"]

Case in point. I used to stop and take pictures of turbines every chance I got when I first noticed them 3 - 4 years ago as they stretched from Port Bruce to Port Burwell. I even used to tell others to take a day and drive down to see the shiny new monsters. I was impressed with their beauty.

Now, I don’t notice them as much. I’m used to seeing them. They’re part of the landscape.

They do, however, still add to the view, in my opinion, when I glance over my shoulder while riding my bike along the lakeshore roads.

More than needing a pristine view, we need to conserve electricity.

***

What are other examples of things that once were very noticeable - spoiled our view - but now just blend into the background?

Large trucks on highways?

Big hair?

Front yard driveways filled with two or three cars?

Apartments taller than 4 storeys?

People over 6 feet tall?

Please click here to read Wind Turbines Pt 2

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

This is sort of related to the "view", except I have not yet seen it myself. On Saturday I went on a boat cruise in Port Dover, and the tour guide mentioned one of the boats we saw was a service boat for the offshore gas drilling platforms. I googled it when I got home, there are 500 gas drilling platforms in Lake Erie off the Canadian shore. The US does not allow gas drilling platforms in Lake Erie. Both Canada and the US ban oil drilling rigs.

G. Harrison said...

very interesting information.

i wonder if there will one day be more public education about the platforms? the more info the better in my opinion, re their use, their need, their cost etc.

gh