Thursday, August 5, 2010

From The Workshop Pt 1: From one fence post to another

You know I like to rescue lumber, don’t you?

Well, I wasn’t exactly dumpster diving when I recently found a few old fence posts that I thought, with a bit of effort, would be useful to me.


I’d call it keeping my eyes open while walking through my neighbourhood. (Honest, I’ve never ripped anybody off).

Later I painted an old, slightly twisted pressure-treated post and it will one day be home to a purple martin house also made from rescued lumber. And yesterday I cut a 3 ft. long piece of cedar post into 28 smaller pieces.


["I have four sections left over": photos GH]

Two cubes were then assembled, each from 12 pieces of 1 inch thick cedar, and once roofs, bottoms and trim were attached I had new, solid, 30-year birdhouses ready to oil and stain.


Once the oil/stain mix is dry, I’ll attach each house to a suitable fence post.


(Read about a previous effort)

Rescued lumber will travel from one fence post to another.

***

Is the trim “too much?”

Could these last 40 years?

.

No comments: