Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Where can I go to buy a pair of Stanfields?

After my shower this morning I looked inside my underwear draw to begin the process of choosing matching clothing items for my Wednesday ensemble.

What a sad state of affairs inside that drawer!

I’m into my second year of buying “no new clothes” and though my sock drawer and t-shirt drawers are in good shape my unmentionables (the aforementioned underwear aka Stanfields) are almost all at the “paint rag” stage.

Two very important thoughts crossed my mind.

One, can I get to the end of 2010 - another 128 days - with this very sad lot of rags around me bottom?


Two, on January 1, 2011, will I be able to find any clothes at all ‘Made in Canada?’

According to Ruth Snow (Letter to the Editor, today’s issue of The London Free Press), who asks, “Is anything made in Canada anymore? Shop Canadian, where?” - maybe not.

While Ruth wonders “if anyone else has noticed the failing North American economy while China is growing exponentially” I wonder if it’s because we shipped our jobs overseas so we could have cheap products.

Really, I’m willing to pay more for Stanfields. But where are they?

I have 128 days to find out.

***

PS I’ll settle for Fruit of the Loom.

Are they made down the road in Woodstock anymore?

.

4 comments:

Liz said...

It's been awhile since I've seen any made in Canada undies or socks so I checked Stanfields website. It says they're still made in Canada.

http://www.stanfields.com/

Will have to look again.

G. Harrison said...

Thanks liz.

My hope is high.

My supply is low.

GH

lanniedee@gmail.com said...

Hi: you just knew I'd write when you so remind me of dad..wore his unmentionables til they were rags..also spelling mistake in first sentence..draw, instead of drawer..I found lovely "Made in Canada" clothes at Bigley's Shoes in Bobcaygeon..blouses, skirt etc..but don't know if they sell men's underwear..great clothes and shoes tho..I love buying Canadian but it's getting harder to find..love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

Hi L. Dee,

I found a few pairs on a downstairs clothesline - forgotten but still usable. I should make it to 2011 without baring my behind.

Yuck.

Gord