Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday Memoirs: The wonders of modern technology and tractors circa 1954

Last week I wrote I was a very witty and artistic child. My parents likely thought, after hearing me crack wise about leftovers and seeing my chalk board drawings, I had a great future ahead of me.

However, I’m sure they also had a few doubts as they observed my encounters with modern technology.

For example: One evening, while still living in Burgessville and watching TV with my father, I asked if the people who were inside the box could hear us talking.

He replied, “Yes, as long as you talk loud enough.”


Delighted with the opportunity to make new friends I walked over to the side of the TV where the speaker was located and said, “Hello. Hello.”

No one on screen responded, so I spoke a little more firmly.

Still nobody said ‘hello’ back to me.

I gave it one more try and after yelling loudly into the side of the TV two or three times I got a loud response as well... from my own angry mother.

From that experience I’m sure my parents realized I was just an average kid after all. And I learned not to believe everything my father said.

When he told me to stay away from the new tractors parked in front of the Burgessville Co-op I immediately felt I should try to sit on one, so once he turned away I climbed onto the nearest model.

My gosh. I could see all over town from the driver’s seat. And important-looking buttons and dials were everywhere, some within easy reach.

Don’t ask me how I did it (I was only four or five years old at the time) but I managed to start the tractor and hang on while it headed toward the nearest road and what locals called the Burgessville Creek.

I can’t recall being afraid until I saw the look on my father’s face as he flew across the parking lot, jumped onto the tractor and brought it under control.

Though I didn’t drive tractors again until I was in my mid-teens I was occasionally allowed to sit on Dad’s lap, and with his assistance (though I’m certain I didn’t need it), steer our car home from the Co-op.

[I was a star, eh? Read about The Sunday Stars at Four Mugs]

No comments: