Saturday, June 29, 2019

Motorcycle Miles 2019 (2)

Prose From the North Shore


Where the land and sky meet the sea,
That's where you will find me.

*****

Question: Is Port Bruce the place where land, sky and sea meet in perfect harmony?

Answer: It is one of the places where natural peace and harmony occur, surely not the only place. But it works for me.

The small port is 58 km. from my front porch. It's off the beaten track, the beach is gravelly, so it is not a hangout for 1000's at a time.

The Corner View diner makes a great BLT, a decent cup of coffee and usually advertises Key Lime ice cream on its shingle. What more can I ask for on a sunny day?

Bob Dylan never discovered Port Bruce, never wrote a long and rambling tune about the place, but I find - thanks in part to the rhythmic hum of my motorcycle's engine - song verses spring to mind as I exit Sparta (still several kms from the port) or as I begin to gear down while approaching my first good view of The Bruce. 

Where three natural elements - vividly coloured - present themselves in some sort of powerful, lasting unity, that's where I feel at home. But actually making it home would be another long story, rife with tough decisions. Where's Bob Dylan when I need him?

(Pat doesn't want to leave Old South. And we can't have homes in both places. So, I catch my dream between my fingers on a regular basis but can't keep it for more than a few hours at a time. However, I've been good with that for many years and I won't make waves.)




"I'm down to four shirts, one hat, a pair of shorts,
Breakfast is coffee and a wide view from my deck.
Life aboard Dream Catcher is a quiet, never lonely affair
And I keep busy, productive, by turning 'found objects'
into personal history, all for sale at low prices."


Could my bike be a down payment on Dream Catcher?

Tune in on Sunday.

Please link to Motorcycle Miles 2019.

Photos GH

No comments: