Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Now This Is Happening (6)

Four Types of Runs Per Week

Get out the door. Get out the door. AKA - GOTD!


[Introduction: Visitors to IT STRIKES ME FUNNY are welcome to peruse what seems like an endless number of topics or "click on Headings". As well, I maintain a blog about my walking and running habit. I get out the door (GOTD) about 6 days per week, often w a camera, to enjoy a long-term 'fun and fitness' routine. This post is my latest entry on that site. If you have a 'fun and fitness' routine, let me know about it. Maybe we are preparing for the same road race in November!]

Though I do not have to register for the 2020 version of 'Around the Bay 30K' until October 5th, I am already thinking about adjusting my weekly running schedule to accommodate four different types of 'training runs'. 

I have a lot of time to fiddle around with my training because the Hamilton race may not even take place on the scheduled date, November 22, due to COVID-19.

That being said, I do want to be in the best condition possible, i.e., within my limited limits, so that I do not embarrass myself and other members of my age group, those few who are 70-plus and still running around in spandex. Oh yeah, we're out there!

My exercise routine is solid. I walk and run 45 - 50 miles per week on average. And, after walking and running regularly over the last many years, my GOTD habit is also solid, and I am OTD 6 - 7 times per week, every week. As well, I still have good overall running stamina, speed and strength in my legs, left over from my winter - spring training for a virtual half-marathon in April. I just need to fiddle and fine-tune so that I know by the 30K registration date in October that I'm well on my way to being solidly ready for the late November race on a hilly course.

Screen shot - Half-marathon results page. Me in the middle!

    "Neither rain nor sleet nor hail nor thunder nor flying pigs
will keep me from my scheduled rounds. I'm OTD!!"

I will starting fitting in four kinds of training runs per week, starting today:

Hill Run. 6 - 7 mile run with several trips up and down Blackfriars Hill.

Long Run. My longest run at the moment is 6.5 miles or about 10.5 km. Every other Sunday I will add 1.0 or 1.5 km to my longest run (or 0.5 to 1.0 miles) in order to be comfortable with the half-marathon distance my mid- to late-September.

Race Pace Run. I found while training for a spring half-marathon that I was continually comfortable with a steady pace of 5:50 - 6:00 minutes per km. So, once per week I will run 6.5 - 7.5 miles at that steady pace.

Speed Workout Run. 6 to 7 miles in overall length. I will run alternate fast and slow intervals 0.5 km in length (i.e., faster, then slower than race pace) on a measured course, e.g., a high school track or the TVP (multi-purpose, paved path). Initially, during the 'faster' interval, I will aim for "barely faster than race pace", and gradually work toward "15 - 30 seconds faster than race pace," per half km. That being said, speed is not my chief goal, so "barely faster" should work out fine : )

"Hey, let's pass this old guy!" Hey, catch me if you can!!

"You will find me on the TVP 6 - 7 times per week."

Slow and steady wins the race and I know how to stay within my limits. If I can get through the summer with four runs per week (as often as possible), I will really look forward to registering for my tenth "Around the Bay 30K".

Keep healthy!

"Old guy, passing on your left!" (One of my favourite shout-outs while running!")


Photos GH

No comments: