Monday, February 7, 2022

Training for Combined Ops: Shortly Before the Dieppe Raid (Part 2)

 Schuyt 1 and 2, Lady Helen and a Silent Pact

And Where is the Top Hat Pub Again, Dad?

"We conspired to be the first ashore to get the pick." D. Harrison

Introduction:

Part 1 of this short series concluded with the following sentences, in part:

(RFA) Ennerdale survived the war undamaged. It became a chummy ship since she carried us of the 81st Flotilla to the African landings, and returned us to the UK.

The author of those lines (David J. Lewis - RCNVR, Combined Operations) was my father's friend, but they may have only touched base long after the war was over, i.e., in the 1990s, when stories were being collected for books concerning the role of Canadians in Combined Operations. The two photographs below relate to those times:

Five significant books were produced by four of the Canadian men above.
Photo taken in the backyard of the home of Clayton Marks, London ONT.

8Back, L - R: 'Gash', Clayton, and David Lewis (David wrote and
collected stories for St. Nazaire to Singapore (two volumes)
Front L - R: Doug and Al (full names are w top photo)

David Lewis was an officer in the 81st Canadian Flotilla of Landing Crafts and my father was an Able Bodied (AB) Seaman, then Leading Seaman (LS) in the 80th Canadian Flotilla of Landing Crafts. Though their flotillas may have participated in the same operations (e.g., North Africa, Sicily and Italy in 1942 - 43) their day-to-day roles and relationships were undoubtedly in different spheres.

This WWII navy hammock can be seen, by appointment, at the Naval
Museum, Esquimalt, on Vancouver Is. Photo - Naval Museum, B.C.

That being said, when D. J. Lewis organized two volumes of collected veterans' (members of RCNVR and Combined Ops) WWII stories, he not only wrote one of his accounts ("LCA 17, Lady Helen" - see part 1 of this series) as a continuation of one of my father's accounts, but then added another of my father's reports (see below) directly after "LCA 17, Lady Helen" even though - and readers may agree with me here, or not - the chronology may be off a bit.

Did my father get his dates right? (He admits many dates and places and events were difficult to get right in his memoirs). Did David Lewis, as an officer involved in the planning of the Dieppe Raid, know different? (He didn't always get it right in his memoirs either, in my opinion). I'm thinking, let's call it a draw and enjoy the stories.

The following, entitled "The Silent Pact and Its Epilogue," appears on pages 48 - 49 of St. Nazaire to Singapore: The Canadian Amphibious War 1941 - 1945, Volume 1 by David and Catherine Lewis and Len Birkenes. 

[Editor's Note: A lightly edited version (by me) does appear earlier on this site; I wrote it during the time - many years ago - that I attempted to locate the family of Gracie Purvis of Croydon. Read the two 'back-to-back' and I bet you'll 'catch my drift' re changes, so to speak.]

THE SILENT PACT AND ITS EPILOGUE by Doug Harrison

This beautiful story is about two people in those magical times and it expresses so wonderfully the feelings and experiences of thousands back then; the boundaries of conduct not everyone observed. (David Lewis)

My Navy buddy, Frank Herring, and I engaged in a Silent Pact overseas. When we were not required on board for duty we conspired to be the first ashore to get the pick. No Liberty Boat inspection for us - case the joint and slip ashore quickly and hopefully unseen.

[Editor's Note - Frank Herring appears below, front row, left side:]


[Frank Herring and my father reconnected in 1990:]

L - R: Nelson Langevin, Gatineau, QUE. sits under the umbrella; my father,
Doug Harrison, Norwich, ONT (standing); unknown, (sitting); Art (Gash) Bailey
(white hat), London, ONT.; Frank Herring (Veterans reconnect - link here)

Doug Harrison's story continues:












Excerpt above found in St. Nazaire to Singapore, Volume 1, pg. 48

The remainder of this story doesn’t sound so consistent with the Silent Pact. I suppose it is a Silent Tribute to all the WAAFs, I don’t know, but it’s all true. Events were to prove, in my own mind at least, that I did not lose in the shuffle in the black-out doors of the Top-Hat Pub at Southend.*

[*Editor's Note: I've had no luck finding info re Top-Hat Pub. However, there is an Old Hat Pub at 14 Alexandra St., Southend-On-Sea, located centrally on a main road, nicely connected to Westcliff-On-Sea.]

I am reminded of those often repeated words by Humphrey Bogart to Audrey Hepburn in the movie African Queen, “This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship” because that was what it turned out to be although it wasn’t to last too long.

The WAAF Cpl who worked in the kitchen or bakery of an Air Force barracks nearby was named Gracie Purvis. Her home was in Croydon and she established very early in our relationship that she was engaged to an English Army Lieutenant with Montgomery in North Africa. She was firm that she wished to remain faithful to him. I accepted this loyalty which gained my respect for Grace and our friendship was free of all encumbrances and we became very good friends.

Each day or evening we were free of duty we met at the Top-Hat Pub and had a drink or two, a sandwich, a game or two at the Penny Arcade and sometimes we walked arm and arm around Southend wishing in our hearts that there wasn’t a war and things could be different. We spoke of Mums and family and the Army Lieutenant. Also we spoke of letters sent and received, about after the war, our dreams and aspirations. They were quite the same; a home, a family, a time free of war.

The barracks I was at was HMS Westcliff, I believe, and I believe the time was after Dieppe and prior to the North Africa invasion.

[Editor's Note - re the function of HMS Westcliff: "Landing craft base and holding base for Combined Operations personnel." More details can be found at a top rate Combined Ops website]

Grace and I arranged that if either of us were no-shows for two nights, she had been posted or I was on my way somewhere else and she alone promised to write. We had pleasant times for she was a pleasant person. I often think of her and her fine qualities. It wasn’t to last because I soon became a no-show. There were no good-byes or “I’ll see you again.” No more spearmint gum or cookies from the baking either.

[My father became 'a no-show', perhaps because of the invasion of North Africa, aka Operation Torch. Photos related to the invasion and dad's story follow. FYI - He appears in all three photos.] 

A12647 American troops manning their landing craft assault from a doorway
in the side of the liner REINA DEL PACIFICO. Two of the landing craft are
numbered LCA 428 and LCA 447. Photo by Hudson, F. A . (Lt) RN. (IWM)

A12649 American troops landing on the beach at Arzeu, near Oran, from a
landing craft assault (LCA 26), some of them are carrying boxes of supplies.
Photo - RN Official Photographer Lt. F. A. Hudson. Imperial War Museum

A12671 Troops and ammunition for light guns being brought ashore from a
landing craft assault (ramped) (LCA 428) on Arzeu beach, Algeria, North
Africa, whilst another LCA (LCA 287) approaches the beach.
Photo Credit - RN Photographer Lt. F. A. Hudson (IWM)

Doug Harrison's story continues:

Six weeks later perhaps, we arrived back from North Africa to Liverpool on the Reina-del-Pacifico and in a few days the mail arrived from FMO and among my stack was a letter from Grace, now serving at the summer resort town of Blackpool. Could I get a weekend leave, and if so, she said she would arrange rooming quarters and give me a phone number to call at a precise time? (That’s) if things became favourable for me, which they did, and quite soon I was stepping onto the train platform at Blackpool with Grace waiting with open arms.

I had a 72 hour pass and stayed at a Seniors Boarding House with a lovely room. I sat down at meal times with Seniors dressed in formal bib and tucker to shepherd’s pie, and Brussel sprouts, of course.

Friday night and Saturday night we had a drink or two and enjoyed a dance and restaurant and renewed our friendship. Then I went back to the boarding house. Sunday (this would be late November, 1942) we went to see a large aquarium, sharks and all. The weather was foreboding, like the feeling in our hearts. On the surface we were enjoying ourselves but underneath I think we were both quite sad for we feared the end.

Photo Credit - Vintage Postcards

We walked with arms about each others' waists out over the shallow beach water on Blackpool’s famous long pier. The cool wind blew our hair and we sat on a bench at the end of the pier. I shared my Burberry (raincoat) as we huddled there and I confess I felt more than a friend as we spoke once again for what we both knew would be the last time, of our meeting at Southend, our homes and what we both hoped would be in our future and this loyal lady had still kept up correspondence with her Lieutenant. I had deep admiration in my heart for her as I felt her warmth and sadness under my coat.

We strolled back to the beach area where there was a type of midway still operating along the beach and we attempted to lift our mood by taking rides on ferris wheels, etc. Grace had a few small red burns on her face from flying burning fat and declined to have her photo taken.

I returned to the boarding house to pick up my attache case and all too soon I am again on the train platform, whereas 72 hours earlier we had had such a happy reunion. A mist swirled around us as we once more shared my Burberry. Through it all not a word was spoken of future letters or anything else. We were friends just hanging on through the tears.

I’m not prepared for the “All Aboard.” I never liked good-byes. I still wanted this moment over with. It was taking too long. “All Aboard.” We kissed good-bye. I climbed aboard and my guts were churning as I took a seat by the window. Grace stood so alone. This was not a happy moment. The train slowly moved out and Grace Purvis of Croydon turned and walked away. We were as two ships that had passed in the night.

I have been unable to locate Grace. I pray her Lieutenant came safely home and all her dreams were fulfilled. We filled a need in each others lives and I have no regrets.

Part 3 soon to follow.

Questions or comments can be addressed to gordh7700@gmail.com

Please link to Training for Combined Operations: Shortly Before the Dieppe Raid (Part 1)

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments: