Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Video: Walking and Running Shorts (6)

  I Think I'm Ready! A Half-Marathon in September!

I'd Better Be Ready. I Signed Up for Another One

A wee part of most week days is spent walking or running

Introduction:

I've been enjoying my fun and fitness routine for many months without saying too much about it, so here goes:

I continue to walk or run 5 - 6 miles (10 km) per day, 5 - 6 days per week

Two relatively mild injuries slowed down my running progress last spring and during the winter months before that, but I am now almost in tiptop shape (i.e., svelteness is just around the corner)

I am back at the YMCA about 3 - 4 days per week, running on the treadmill, riding on an exercise bike and lifting a few weights - all within my limits

I have focussed on running more and walking less for the last 4 months, i.e., June - September

I run a half-marathon on September 18 and another on October 2. My goal is to run approx. 5min50sec per km and finish in 2hr04min, or less


Sure, it could snow on race day and my goal will go out the window, but I think my training has been pretty steady. Each week my runs focus on increasing my stamina or endurance, speed, strength, and smooth, efficient stride. I increase stamina by increasing the length of my (Sunday) long run by 1 - 2 miles every couple of weeks. Last week I ran a 13-miler, so I feel ready for the half-marathon distance 0f 13.1 miles/21.1km. I increase strength with the help of a weight-lifting routine and a weekly run that includes increasing the incline on the treadmill by a few percentage points. I improve my speed by running 5 - 6 miles on the treadmill at alternating speeds; e.g., I run 0.5 miles at my planned race pace, followed by 0.5 miles faster than race pace (the faster pace increases gradually over 6 - 8 weeks). 

Not that I run like the wind, but I know that the speed work makes my weekly 'race pace run' (5 - 6 miles) feel easier as the weeks go by. It's a great feeling to be 3 to 4 miles into a run and realizing that the run actually feels easier than the previous week. One thing that almost feels as good as that is the price of my new YMCA membership. I'm paying $10 per week. Pretty good deal, in my opinion.

The training has not been all uphill or downhill. But if I stay
'within my limits (w regular exercise), my limits will grow.'

I also play with Adobe Spark Video app - it's a bit of fun, really, turning still photos into wee videos - and below you will find my sixth video in the "Walking (and Running) Shorts" series:

Click here to view "Walking and Running Shorts" (6) by Speedy Pop Man (a name given me by a passing stranger one day last winter).

Please click here to view the previous "Walking and Film Shorts" (5)

Videos and Still Photos by GH

No comments: