Monday, January 6, 2014

Bird Watching: "down, but not out"

"Yup. It pays to have extra supplies hanging about."
G. Harrison, early this morning


Stink! I Knew That was Going to Happen

A note-to-self in three parts

One. There was a heavy snow last night and I should have figured out that something bad was going to happen because it did.

["The last bird to visit before the snowfall"]

Two. Very shortly after I woke up this morning, even before I made coffee, I hurried to the back window to check on the bird feeder. I wondered, would it be covered with snow, and the seed buried? Would birds be sitting in the trees waiting for me to get out there to tidy up?

["Wow. The feeder was knocked right over"]

["Some birds looked desperate"]

["I dressed quickly, shovelled and began repair work"]

Fortunately, everything I needed - shovel, hot coffee, pieces of aluminum pole and more mixed seed -  was as handy as all get out.

Three. I say, "Yup. It pays to have extra supplies hanging about." 

That being said, I need a sturdier pole. But I've got that too under a pile of snow somewhere. And, while we're on the subject, I could also do with a bigger feeder because the bird traffic around here is spectacular.

["New pole and feeder now in action"]

[First visitor. "It's about time," she said.]



So, if I've learned anything in all of this, I'll get at it right away.

Busy times ahead in the workshop.

Photos by GH


No comments: