Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Workshop: "slow and steady progress"

I work 1 - 2 hours at a time, a few days per week, inside a cold workshop on - what is turning out to be - a very interesting project, i.e., a jewellery or treasure box for a London customer.

I sketched it out last week and am adding other wee drawings, re new measurements, corners, etc., as I go along. I am using some lovely western cedar that, according to my rough estimate, could be 800 to 1,000-years old. Talk about treasure.

["Decent sketches, excellent lumber"]

["50 - 60 years of rings in 1 and 1/2 inches of growth"]

["Not a mark on some of the rich, rescued lumber"]

["Pieces lined up for cutting-to-size"]

["I will create five sections for jewellery and treasures"] 

Today I will cut grooves into each side to hold dividers neatly in place. One of the sections created will then be lined with thin slices of aromatic cedar.

Wait 'til you see it. You'll be able to smell it a mile away!

Photos by GH

More from The Workshop

No comments: