Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Zoom w a View: "one is a drip hole"

I have a pile of snow on the back deck and over the last few days, thanks to warmer temps, it has been changing shape.

["How did this happen?"]

When I saw a hole in the snow I wondered how it got there. I don't own a gun. I didn't poke the snow with a broom handle.

Q: So, how did the nice round hole happen?*


As well, there are other holes forming above every space in the deck boards. But I think I know how they form. I think the row of holes, like entrances to wee caves, are the result of snow melt finding the path of least resistance. Also, the air temp under the deck may be warmer than the snow atop the deck, so air circulation comes into play.

What do you think?

Photos by GH

*A: Drip water from an overhead branch

More Zoom w a View

No comments: