Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bird Watching: "chickadees feel the cold"

Last week and today, on days when the temperature stood below 10 degrees Celsius, chickadees flew at my study window, perhaps hoping to find a warm welcome. They are among the smallest of birds so it would not surprise me if they feel the cold more than many other types.

Several times this morning a chickadee came to my window sill or flew at the window, tapping or hitting the glass with its beak.

[Ten min. ago at my window; "Let me in?"]

["No, I mean it. Let me in." Chickadee, upper right]

["I'll take a break, then try to get into the house again"]



Have you heard chickadees tapping at your windows?

Can we help them survive the cold weather besides feeding them?

(Seeds and suet help fuel their bodies but would they enter some type of birdhouse filled with bits of wool or cotton cloth?)

Photos by GH


No comments: