Thursday, January 23, 2014

World War 2: Connecting w a Veteran (4)

My first email to Lloyd, reportedly age 90, a WW2 veteran and member of RCNVR and Combined Ops (like my father), was lengthy. I'd been cautioned to 'go easy' and I tried.

My mail must have gone over well because Lloyd got right back to me. These are his first lines that came directly to me:

Thanks for the information in the email. I am having a LOT of trouble with my computer so will get this email sent in case I can't send the pictures for a while. Will see if my son can fix it when he comes and if not will have to get Apple to fix it. It's a large iMac. I will be 91 in April so the brain is really slowing down. My children say, Dad how can you remember details from 60 years ago and can't remember things from yesterday?

If you send me your phone number I will call you for a nice long talk. Am having health problems lately so now take iron pills along with the another 9 pills. Lloyd

Not only was I delighted that Lloyd sounded welcoming but I thought he sounded like my dad. All those pills. Dad was once concerned about what he was being given (while a resident at Parkwood Hospital, London in 2002 - 2003) so I consulted the medical team there on his behalf. My impression today: The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. And the pill regimen grew smaller.

For Lloyd's sake I kept my second response shorter than the first:

Hi Lloyd, It is very good to hear from you. Your iMac may be giving you troubles but the email arrived safely today. I have a large imac as well and my son has to fix me up on occasion. 

Geoff Slee, Scotland (Combined Operations website, where I found your story) is very happy we are able to connect. Not too many people talk about Combined Ops or know people who were involved in it.

When you feel up to it, do not hesitate to call me at this number 1 xx..xx. If you miss me please leave your number on the answering machine and I will be sure to call you back. Gord

Photos of some Navy boys on Aquitania. They arrived in Halifax Dec. 6, 1943 and after 52-day leave several went to Vancouver Island and CO training camp.


Chuck 'Rosie' Rose, Don 'Westy' Westbrook (and A. Kirby?) have their arms through their life jackets and Joe Bradford is straightening his collar. I met Rosie and Westy as a young boy.

Lloyd wasn't long getting on the phone.

Photo by GH

Link to WW2: Connecting w a Veteran (3)

No comments: