Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lessons learned from our mothers have legs

Mother’s Day is approaching and may have influenced recent posts and questions.

E.g., I asked for lessons readers learned from their mother and received the following:

My mother always said, “Be happy with what you have, you don't always need bigger, better, or more.” Bert

I think that’s a fine lesson to remember and is related to ‘money won’t buy happiness.’ It’s also true that happiness won’t buy you money, but who among us would trade our happiness for cash?

Twinkelydots recalls these words of advice from her Mom:


"Learn to play bridge. It will help you get into better social circles.” And, “Cutting off your hair shows a sign of maturity."

I like the short hair idea, though my maturity lags behind a bit - at times. Only at times.

Twinkelydots still doesn’t play bridge but sounds like she's doing just fine without it.

BTW. Coming from a small town, I never saw bridge being played until I became a school teacher. I quickly thought, it isn’t for me. Too many cards to think about.

And Kathleen wrote the following (among other things):


“Make a place in your house that is just for you. A place where no one else can come unless you invite them.”



I have my workshop, but the door is always open.

For one thing, Ollie needs to learn how to use a hamma, as he calls it.

***

Readers, thanks for the comments. I may expand on this topic at a later date, because father’s give lots of advice too, don’t they?

.

1 comment:

Joy Tilton said...

You are so right about Dad's having good advice too. My husband repeated "Life isn't fair" so often to our daughters as they faced the teen years. Now they are repeating that message to their kids!
joy c.