Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Lite News: Please, don’t tell The Swede

The Swede and I shook on a bet back in 2006, but due to lack of commitment on both our parts, it never paid off.

The bet: Stefan had to beat my best time in the marathon by 5 min. 30 sec.


["Documentation of the bet in The Shed": photo GH]

If he didn’t, he had to buy a gift for The Shed (e.g., a bottle of single malt) with a $50 limit. If he did, I had to buy the gift.

He got too busy with work to train; I stepped off the treadmill in Feb., 2006, took up hockey and put the money I usually spent on running shoes toward sticks and gas for the motorcycle.

But the bet is still on. And a year ago we updated it.

The Swede now has to beat my best time in the half-marathon by 4 min. 15 sec. The distance has been cut in half but the prize limit has increased by $10.

According to The Shed rules - verifiable (see Reg W.) - if we don’t run an event in 2010 the bet is off forever and we’ll both be declared losers. Big losers.

Well, here’s what I know about The Swede. He is still working like a dog and has no time to train. His legs, once as sturdy as trees, are now weak and sluggish and carrying around a heavier load.

And here’s what I know about me. I play hockey once a week, ride over 100 miles per week on my exercise bike to help with my skating and endurance, and have a lousy slap shot.

However, I ran for the first time in two years last night and I’m still here. And I’m committed to gradually pick up my miles and post an official half-marathon time by December 31st - without saying a word to The Swede.

And I’ll work on my slap shot.

Don’t say a word.

***

And don’t smoke. More Lite News here.

.

No comments: