Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The long road back (Pt 2) to long-distance running

I know how earn at least 100 points per week and meet my fun and fitness goals at the same time.

For example, two weeks ago I rode my exercise bike 85 miles (without even leaving the basement), played hockey (what a blast) and completed two runs (aka shuffles) and compiled 110 miles or total points.

And last week I combined riding, hockey (incl. scoring a nifty goal on a really good goalie) and running to earn 106 points.


["Anything over 100 pts. is gravy": photo GH]

I know how to keep track of my extra points over 100 as well. Yeah, I just add them up and keep a running total (I call it gravy) and over the last two years I’ve accumulated 184.5 gravy mi./pts., so I can take a day off here and there if I really want.

But I can’t always control my weekly schedule. And I missed a run last week.

Stuff comes up. People drop by. I get busy or sleepy or distracted or all three at the same time.

So, I’ve got to complete an extra run this week. I did 6 miles on Saturday so maybe I’ll follow the same route this afternoon after I spend a couple of hours in the workshop.


["I've been running a long time. The Swede can't fool me"]

Three runs in one week will give me confidence regarding my bet with The Swede.

Don’t tell him I’m doing pretty well at this stage in the long, long game.

***

And, to The Swede: Though I recently heard you’re not training and have put on a little weight, I feel you may be spreading misinformation and hiding in the bushes - getting ready to strike.

Yup, I’m onto you.

.

No comments: