Monday, January 2, 2012

Turkey Soup


Except for the bay leaf, my wife’s turkey soup went down very well at noon today. For the fifth day in a row I have enjoyed the rich taste immensely, along with all of the natural goodness contained in all ingredients.

The ingredients include;

- leftover turkey-lurkey
- leftover celery, carrots, corn niblets, onions, peas
- rice
- bits of dressing that stuck to the turkey’s ribs
- the odd piece of bone or cartilage that slipped past quality control
- and finally, one large bay leaf, large and jagged-edged enough to stick in a grown man’s throat.

Every Boxing Day for the last 30 or 40 years my wife has made the soup, and every year at noon hour - when I know soup’s on - I run to the fridge and begin slurping the tasty concoction before she can finish her sentence about it.

“Turkey soup is ready, with all the things in it that you like best, but don’t forget - like you did last year, and the year before that, and so on, and so on - that the bay leaf is not for eating. I repeat, not...”

***

Maybe if I chewed it longer...

Please click here for more leftovers.

.

No comments: