Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Workshop: "The man is obsessed!" (1)

I came home from Bracebridge in early November with several ideas in mind: I should add to my collection of family stories. I should learn to whittle birds and horses and trees. I should attach whittled items to my birdhouses. And I should try my hand at 'log cabin' birdhouses (like the one I noticed in my sister's backyard in Bracebridge) because I have a large pile of suitable lumber under a tarp on my back deck and it really is time to whittle it down.

["I have balsam that would be perfect for wee birds and horses"]

Not long after arriving home from the trip north I uncovered my lumber stash and began the rewarding process of creating my own log cabins. I sorted lumber, drew up plans, cut logs and slats and other roofing material on my table and chop saws and assembled one, then two, then three, four, five, six. Then, jiggity-jig, I took them to market.

["LAND. Isn't that a clever perch?"] (See more samples here)

My first batch of six sold quickly so I soon started a second batch from new barn board. The wood was great to work with and six more 'came together' easily.

["New barn board - easy kap-easy to cut and assemble"]

Visitors to my shop in December would say I had 'log cabin birdhouses' on the brain and another batch from old barn board - it had been safe under my tarp for five years - was assembled during the Christmas holidays.

["I could make these all day. And sometimes I do!"]

Not surprisingly that last batch seems to have disappeared. I think it's because I'd say, "Hey, Merry Christmas! Enjoy your gift. Yes, it's a birdhouse, just like last year!"


Those who think I'm coming to the end of the birdhouse building process just because Christmas is over and snow is on the ground are mistaken. I'm on a roll, and I think it will be a long one.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop

No comments: