Monday, August 26, 2019

Gord's Grill (1).

Big Enough for Four of Everything!

Things are starting to heat up!

The above photograph depicts the scene outside my workshop, the scene that is becoming more familiar to me now that I'm starting to make use of a small home appliance that is actually a bundle of fun.

It's something you may recognize and have in your own basement or garage or on a shelf in a kitchen cupboard. It goes by a familiar and likely famous name (at least in Canada and the U.S.A.) though I now call it "Gord's Four-Man Grill" because I've found it big enough to quickly and conveniently grill/cook/sizzle four pork chops, or four good-sized pieces of steak.... or what have you.

Though I haven't used it for years I'm having great fun now!

And what have I? A lot of frozen bags or packets of sausages, chops, fish, steak, steaks wrapped in bacon (etc. etc.) that my wife and I have stored in our freezers in the event of a Harrison Family Reunion or National Family Holiday or year-long strike by all of Canada's food stores. Good gosh. Are we expecting a visit from a Canadian Army regiment?

At any rate, full freezers aside, I noticed my BBQ's propane tank was getting close to empty recently and I wondered if there was another way to cook out-of-doors that was just as easy or easier and save me a trip to a local business where I could buy more propane. And I recalled that I did have an electric grill buried under a pile of extra pillows, curtains, blankets (what have you, etc.) on a basement shelf.

While it heats up for 5 minutes I'll search the freezer.

Well, after dusting off the "Four-Man Grill" I had supper sizzling in no time at all. And I've used it several times in the last couple of weeks to resounding success. Simple as can be.

Now hot, it's ready for chops.

Some will say, "Gord's having a slow news day." And they'd be right.

But I'm a man who very much enjoys simple pleasures of life (a short motorcycle ride to Port Bruce, a BLT on ancient grains bread, a Key Lime ice cream cone, a long walk in T-shirt and shorts and sturdy running shoes, an easy run or bike ride to Baldwin Flats and back, a perfectly cooked/sizzled chop - in 10 minutes...). And if you've noticed, there's room on the sawhorse for a fork, plate and glass of cold beverage.

What could be nicer on a pleasant summer's afternoon? Lots of things, of course, but I don't have time to discuss...

Time to flip my supper, add a bit of BBQ sauce and sit down for three more minutes.

Cheers!

Please link to Sunday Ride.

Photos GH

No comments: