Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Video: Dad's Navy Duffel Bag (No Music)

 Cool Navy Duffel Bag Goes Missing; Boy Scout to Blame!

A Collector of Militaria Googles 'Doug Harrison, V8809'

"What's this?" you say. I'm enjoying a trip back to 1963. GH

Introduction:

The concept of time travel relates somewhat easily to the imagination: We can see ourselves - in our minds eye - streak through space both backward and forward in time, e.g., talking again with mates from high school, 1960's music playing in the background: or, e.g., walking in the future with a grandson who realizes he looks a lot like his grandfather now that his hair has turned gray.

Sometimes an object from the past - because of a certain smell, colour or ability to prompt a hidden memory - takes us back many years. 

On Fathers' Day, 2021, I opened a parcel and my mind went back to 1963 or 1964. It would have resonated with 1944 in my father's mind as well.

A 2-minute video helps tell the tale:

If you want background music, turn on the radio

Script follows:

My father joined the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve in June, 1941.

He likely got his first duffel bag in Hamilton with most of his navy kit as well. He looks good in his navy blues.

He and about 100 others joined Combined Operations in late 1941, while in Halifax, and after training on landing crafts in the UK many served during the Dieppe Raid and invasions of North Africa, Sicily and Italy. While serving in Italy, all of their duffel bags, uniforms - everything - was stolen.

Dad and others returned to Canada in Dec. 1943 and many soon served at a Combined Operations School on Vancouver Island. Dad got a new duffel bag in early 1944, signed it, decorated it in a colourful manner, and happily… played a lot of baseball.

He was discharged in September 1945, returned to his previous job at the Norwich Co-op and raised a family of five with his wife Edith. I am the middle child, Gord Harrison, born in 1949.

In May 2021 I received a parcel, but waited until Father’s day to open it.

With family assembled I said, “In 1964 I’d found a dusty but cool-looking duffel bag in our barn. Unwisely I took it with me to a Scout camp - against Mother’s wishes. After I returned, the bag disappeared, likely to the town dump, and I knew it was my fault.

Luckily, a collector of militaria bought it amongst a pile of WWII items many, many years ago. And recently, while sorting his collection, he googled the 77-year-old signature on it.

Dad’s name took him to my WWII website. Well, emails flew back and forth, and the man surprisingly sent it to me. You can see Dad’s Navy duffel landed safely!

Yes. I’ll certainly treat it with much more respect this time ‘round.

* * * * * * * *

Please click here to view another recent video - "FAINT FOOTSTEPS, World War II, Part 7"

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments: