Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oh, yes. I could live in Ottawa, Canada

While in our nation’s capital recently, the following thought crossed my mind - more than once:

I could live in this town.

It’s a walker’s paradise. Friendly people. Historic stone buildings on every corner. (With my granite-like jaw I’d fit right in!) Good food. Good craft beer. Inspiring art and sculptures everywhere.


[“A stairway inside Archives Canada. Fabulous”: photos by GH]

About that last statement, I’m not kidding.

At Archives Canada, as I approached a magnificent stairway to the floors above, a bronze, behind a corner, caught my eye.


[“This definitely looks familiar. From a postcard?”]

I vaguely recognized it.


[“A Centennial gift from Britain. Amazing. I love it. Thank you.”]

My sharp mind, always at the ready, thought, this could be something.

And indeed it was. (My mind is sharp, eh? Henry Moore is no common piker.)


[“What is that? White marble? Faux stone?”]

Yes, I could live in Ottawa. I’d look behind this corner and that to see what else is hidden away. And prohibited or not, I’d take dozens of pictures a day.


[“The stairs and walls are made from the same material. Stunning.”]

No wonder I feel at home at the Ottawa Jail Hostel.

.

No comments: