Saturday, October 2, 2010

While in Ottawa, we supped and laughed at...

The Highlander Pub on Rideau Street.


["How many malts? I wondered.": photos GH]

It was there I was able to use my favourite line all-time.


Although ‘where have you been all my life’ (my wife actually bought it) and ‘you’re sitting in my chair, Mr. Dryden’ (I actually had to tell Ken to relax, that I was just kidding) are near the top of the pile, I have a better one.

After taking the first bite of a steak sandwich I caught my wife’s eye and said, “This is delectable.”

She laughed. I knew she would.


["During quiet moments I gazed outside the window"]

The key word is ‘delectable,’ and when properly used brings much mirth to our conversation.

Several years ago, while by wife sipped coffee at The Roaster (Where was I? I have no idea.) she couldn’t help but overhear two ladies talking at a nearby table.

“I really enjoy Gord Harrison’s columns, don’t you?” said one, not knowing his lovely and now fully attentive wife sat an arm’s length away.

The woman continued. “His personality is so delectable.”

Delectable. That’s one heck of a word, but in my case, not hard to live up to at all (I guess).


["The view was - in a word - delectable"]

My gosh, how we laughed when she retold the story to me later in the day.

It’s such a good word (so descriptive, so bang on) I’ll use it well into my nineties.

After a hearty lunch I’ll say, “The soup and Jello were delectable today, eh?”

I bet my wife (you know, old-what’s-her-name) will still laugh.

***

Don’t miss our visit to The National Art Gallery.

You bet, I spared no expense!

.

No comments: