Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Crossword: Ever heard of ‘Eb and Flo’?

From Thursday’s crossword in the London Free Press:


41 Down - Old comic strip “Eb and ____” (3 letters)

Call me a genius if you will, but I had the answer in under 3 seconds, thanks to the fact I already had 2 of 3 letters and the obvious answer was indeed correct, i.e., Flo.


The answer to 44 Down was Dharma, of ‘Dharma and Greg’, and of the two couples I was more curious about Eb and Flo because I had never heard of them.

After hours of research I discovered the following:

“British-born cartoonist Paul Sellers first appeared in US newspapers with the pantomime strip 'Lancelittle' for Hall Syndicate in 1964. After this short lived comic, he came up with the daily comic strip 'Eb and Flo', that appeared in US and foreign newspapers through United Features Syndicate between 1967 and 1987.” (See for yourself w more details)

The strip below is in a foreign language but I think I’ve got it figured out.


Eb: Hey, I’ve got a great idea. How about we go out for supper tonight? My treat, of course.

Flo: You’re bright idea comes 30 minutes late as usual. I’ve already got supper on, for Pete’s sake!

Eb: Why are you upset? Think about it. We just saved 30 bucks, didn’t we?


***

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s it.

Please click here for more adventures with the crossword.

.

2 comments:

Jane said...

"after hours of research"? Oh my, you do have too much time on your hands!

G. Harrison said...

I do love my nightly crossword - as long as it's easy!!

Eb and Flo, gotta love it, eh.