Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Point of View: The Green Shift will focus our attention on carbon emissions

In my last column in The Londoner I wrote: “I’ve heard that Liberal leader Stephane Dion will fully explain his version of a carbon tax this week and in my opinion we should all pay very close attention.”

He introduced Canadians to The Green Shift on Thursday evening and after reading more information at a federal Liberal website I have a few early judgments.

I think Stephane Dion is making an effort to make sure Canada’s carbon emissions take a big hit, make a big drop, turn in the opposite direction.

Our current Conservative government seems to be blithely unaware that the Alberta oilsands project is Canada’s largest man-made ecological disaster and source of carbon emissions, directly and indirectly, in our nation’s history.


Or that we’re the 3rd highest producer of carbon emissions per capita in the world, only behind the USA and Australia, and need to take radical steps to produce positive change.

After highlighting the following line in Dion’s Green Shift brochure [“Liberals will tax pollution in Canada for the first time by putting a price on Greenhouse Gas emissions that cause climate change and fuels like coal and natural gas. This won’t include any extra tax on gasoline at the pump.”] I read 16 of 44 pages of his booklet.

So far, it is a lot more interesting than listening to the Conservative Party’s attack ads and talking oil blot at a gas station.

.

No comments: