Monday, September 8, 2008

The Grocery Store Blues: Ocean Spray Craisins too sweet by half

Crap. I’m up a pant size and my son’s wedding is just around the corner.

So, this morning I bought a new pair of pants for my suit, size 35 waist, and when I returned home made salad and soup for lunch.

Okay, I know about salad dressing. Lots of fat in many cases.


[Photo link: Obesity and cancer]

But I didn’t know how much sugar was in the Ocean Spray sweetened dried cranberries I sprinkled over my lettuce.

Nutrition facts:

In a 40 gram serving (or 1/3 cup) there are 26 grams of sugar.

When Ocean Spray proclaims that Craisins are “the sweetest way to eat a cranberry” they aren’t kidding.

No wonder they call them Craisins. After 14 grams of cranberries soak up 26 grams of sugar they are - legally - no longer cranberries.

And what’s a craisin?

Some manmade hybrid that’s sweeter than raisins by a long shot.

Ocean Spray should add:


The fastest way to shoot syrup into your butt

Instead they say - Fat and Cholesterol-Free

Whoop-dee-doos... I got the sugar blues.

.

2 comments:

Nestor Family said...

Oh my goodness! That last photo is a DOOsey!!!

Hey! I have lost 10 pounds in the past month... you can do it, too! I will cheer you on!

"Watch those portions! Watch those portions!"

G. Harrison said...

hi heidi,

because of an upcoming hockey season i am riding and running more regularly; i should be in top form by december, just in time for Christmas dinner!

congrats on the 10 pounds - gone in a month!

i'll watch the portions too.

cheers,

gord h