Sunday, September 14, 2008

Recommended Reading: A Sense of Place transports you away

My wife bought me a copy - so it was free.

(“Thanks, Dear. You’re spoiling me. Keep it up!”)

If that happens to you - great.

If not, buy it yourself.

Or email me and ask politely for my copy.

Michael Shapiro interviews two dozen well-known travel writers and while you read from the comfort of an easy chair you’ll be carried to Europe and beyond.


["You'll be carried to Europe... or maybe St. Mary's": photo GAH]

E.g. Michael asks Paul Theroux: How do you prepare for an assignment?

Paul: Lots of map reading.

Michael: What’s the worst thing that has happened to you during your travels?

Paul: I would say having a nervous teenaged boy pointing a very old and unreliable looking rifle into my face, with his finger on the trigger.

Geez. Maps and rifles up your nose. I can’t get enough.

Shapiro says to Arthur Frommer, an experienced traveller:

“Throughout your life you’ve said, the less you spend, the more you enjoy.”

Arthur responds:

“I still believe that. When you live lavishly you’re really living a kind of life which only a small fraction of the world enjoys, and which is enjoyed primarily for reasons of self emulation. You want to impress other people.”

Great answer.


["Live small, travel small: photo GAH]

It inspired my next column.

Please tune in next Wednesday.

[Link to A Sense of Place]

.

No comments: