Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fun and Fitness: Next stop. Paris!


When I’m home, and not away on train rides across Canada, I walk the streets of London, ride an exercise bike in the basement and play hockey at the Western Fair Grounds to have fun and stay reasonably fit. Sure, I still have trouble touching my toes in the morning but... I’m working on it.

Last Saturday, for the sake of adding more variety to the fun and fitness category of life, I took the plunge and purchased a decent bicycle to connect to an aluminum-framed bike trailer. The next day, to create storage room, a 10-speed Raleigh I pedalled about town last summer was dusted off, removed from the workshop and returned to my younger son - none the worse for wear. And to help pay the bill (for both bike and trailer), my 1994 Yamaha Virago motorcycle will soon be up for sale.


Though I will miss my motorcycle (my trip to Halifax was a classic; I still have not shown you all the photos!), having the new bicycle and trailer opens the door to a vacation I have long dreamt about, i.e., a road trip to Paris.


If the trailer will haul grandson Ollie (as it did on Sunday, to Springbank Park), it will surely haul 30 pounds of camping gear to Paris.

I believe cycling to Paris (Ontario) will be easy kap-easy. According to my atlas, I simply have to pedal to Dundas Street in downtown London and hang a right.

Some time soon you’ll hear, “AU REVOIR!” That’ll be me.

[Photos by G.Harrison]


***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.
  

No comments: