Wednesday, August 28, 2013

birdhouse repair 101

Squirrels are feisty critters - they love to chew - and can do a lot of damage to birdhouses made from softwood. Friends recently showed me a hard hit model from their backyard in Byron.

["I recalled the lumber, rescued from Bracebridge,
was really soft.  But tasty too?"]

"Can you fix it up?" I was asked. I nodded.

["I removed screws from the roof and base"]

["It was apart and freshened up in no time"]

I added harder wood around the main entrance, applied a fresh coat of paint where needed, did a bit of fiddling around with new trim and reattached all pieces I'd removed.

["Better than ever? We'll see"]

Now we wait to see if the squirrels think it looks like their lunch or will just let it be.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read where's the $7 birdhouse?

No comments: