Tuesday, August 27, 2013

faint signs of Canada

     "And from the shores of Sicily - in September, 1943 - all
     the material of war belonging to Allied troops was to be
     delivered by ship and landing crafts to the seven-mile-
     distant shores of Italy.

     Today, as I anticipate the approach of the 70th anniversary
     of D - Day Italy, I'm aware that as father rolled up his
     hammock, he heard the countdown in the back of his mind."
     [Excerpt from my father's Navy memoirs]

["A Navy hammock from SS Silver Walnut, circa 1943;
names of men of the 80th Flotilla, RCNVR, on route to
Sicily, then Italy; Doug Harrison, Norwich, included"]

While walking near my home yesterday I spotted an impression in the sidewalk that relates to stories I've completed during the last 2 - 3 weeks, i.e., Dad's Navy Days: Sicily and Malta. I returned home for my camera before the significance of the impression was forgotten.

I've been writing about my Dad's experiences in Sicily and Malta (and soon, Italy) because they occurred in 1943, in the midst of WW2, and the short stories are my way of marking the 70th anniversary of D-D Sicily and D-Day Italy, my way of remembering my father (also a member of Combined Operations) in the midst of battles, and recalling the man I knew during our years together.

["Lest we forget"]

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read Dad's Navy Days: August 1943 - Malta (10)

No comments: