Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Editor's Research: Invasion of Italy - The Montreal Star, Parts 1 - 33

The Longest Search Comes to an End (Almost)

Photo as found in The Montreal Star, Nov. 6 1943

Introduction:

My search for particular news items from a particular "Star" reporter was lengthy, informative, interesting, seemingly endless, exciting ("I think I'm getting closer!"), down-heartening ("This isn't going where I thought it would go."), and more... and more.
I could link many news items to the Canadians in Combined Operations that are my chief focus re research and writing. But I couldn't link a specific article to the specific trail I was following at the time.

That being said, I'm not done yet. Oh, I've got other fish to fry. And I am always hopeful because new information re (approx.) 1,000 Canadian sailors - who not only volunteered for RCNVR but the Combined Operations organization as well - comes to the surface with each passing year. 

While I continue my search please enjoy the seemingly countless details related to the role of men (navy and otherwise) serving in the Mediterranean Theatre of War during the invasion of Italy in September 1943, as found in The Montreal Star (on microfilm at the University of Western Ontario, London, Canada). 

Editor's Research: Parts 1 - 33 (from September 1, 1943 - December 11, 1943)






Excerpt from the Sept. 29, 1943 issue of The Montreal Star













Dad wrote 'Rosie, Westy' to indicate Chuck Rose (front left) and Don Westbrook
(front centre) in the centre knot of five Canadian sailors. Al Kirby is on the right
of that same group, with a big laugh starting, his Mae West over his shoulder.
Straightening his collar is Joe Watson (to the right of the group of five, and 
behind Joe is Doug H. (Dad), with his cap hiding his wavy red-blond hair.

The back of the same photo. Dad names the ship, and I provide
other details. From the collection of Doug Harrison.






For more research from another fine Canadian newspaper please link to Editor's Research: Operation Baytown (Italy WWII) Parts 1 - 11

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments: