Wednesday, April 27, 2022

April 2022: Finishing on a High Note

  The LCM and RA are Evident But Not a Hindrance

The Month of May Will Tell the September Story

Winter tried to have the last laugh in April. I think it succeeded!

Introduction:

The walking habit has been strong in the month of April; 140-plus miles so far - with another full week (on track for 40-plus more miles) to add to that in just a few days. The running habit could not catch hold in early April because an LCM (lower calf muscle) was still revealing it needed more rest. 

On April 3rd and 5th I tried walk/runs but arrived home with a bad feeling, recorded in my notes. "Watch out!! LCM may be trouble in the future," I said. And I was right. Two days later I cut my running in half and still said, "Oh oh! LCM! Google 'calf injuries.' NOT GOOD." And the red star means something serious as well... I'd better be careful.


And I was careful for another two weeks, walked a bit slower, dusted off my exercise bike on one occasion, cut a couple of long walks into 2 shorter distances. On April 22 I completed a 5.5-mile walk/run on a positive note. 

"LCM, no pain. R.A. (right ankle) @ 90%." (Stiffness was evident but not a hindrance).

And the next two walk/runs received good comments and high scores : )

Some minor stiffness was evident but definitely not a hindrance.

This morning's walk (April 28th) was into a cold headwind but the LCM was not sore, not even a bit. So I am looking forward to another 'good and steady' WR on Thursday, possibly Friday. If all goes well then I look forward to a good month of May, walk/running every other day in the 6 - 8 mile range, with hopes of making the transition to running at a slow and steady pace for the whole nine yards, or the entire distance at least once per week. 

More details to follow, including thoughts about a September and/or October half-marathon race.

Photos From Along the Way:

















Please click here for more information about The GREAT Canadian Comeback.

Photos GH

No comments: