Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Even Wortley Village dropped the ball on this one

In all my years as resident of the best neighbourhood in London, Ontario (or anywhere else in the world for that matter), I’ve never said a discouraging word about the place.

In fact, I’m very fond of saying - These are my streets. These are my people - as if I was Mayor of The Village or all I surveyed from the top step of my wee front porch. (Really, I don’t want the job).

However, while peering out the front window and sipping coffee at The Village Red Roaster recently, a few thoughts went through my head and they took a turn for the worse.


The following thoughts have been arranged in precise chronological order:

(Hmmm... maybe I’d make a good mayor after all).

“There’s so much traffic on Wortley Road through The Village. It’s disturbing my cheery mood.”

“Bicycles would be so much quieter.”

“But they’d get squashed like bugs. There’s no room for them.”

“We’re actually trying to accommodate cars to the nth degree on a very narrow street.”

“There’s two lanes for traffic, plus two lanes for parking. Cyclists don’t stand a chance.”

“Wouldn’t three lanes for cars and one lane for bikes be healthier?”

“I’ll even volunteer - whether I’m mayor or not - to paint the bike lane a nice shade of blue, so drivers know it’s not for them.”

“We’ve accommodated cars far too long here in The Village.”

See, I told you my thoughts took a turn for the worse. Drivers of all shapes and sizes would hate to give up a lane, interrupt their drive home to park in a new location or go just one way on what is now a two-way street.

I’m certain drivers would howl - for at least two weeks. But then, after the giant pain died down, they’d accommodate the small change like everybody else.

And bicyclists would feel safer and pat me on the head for being such a good mayor... er, I mean... coming up with such a good idea.

.

No comments: