Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ollie and Me: My grandson said what?

Ollie is less than three years old but reminds me of me more each day.

First, he’s a contrarian.


["Two peas in a pod" - Ollie and me]

“You look tired. How about a nap, Ollie?” Grandma will ask.

“No nap, Nana,’ he’ll reply. I say the same thing every time the topic comes up.

Second, he’s a storyteller.

I’ll ask him to identify some toy and he’ll give me 300 words [re country of origin, where it was purchased, how much it cost, that he’s in the middle of a game and he’d like me to keep my hands off it, etc.] when only one is needed. He’s got a future with The Londoner, for sure.

And third, he likes having his own way.


["We can both count to twelve": photo GAH]

Yesterday, while hitting and counting the tops of fence posts next to The Annex [my spare shed; the place I keep stuff that doesn’t fit in the main shed], Ollie was told not to tap his stick on the window.

“Papa says no,” Nana told him, hoping the mention of my name would carry some weight.

Without missing a beat, Ollie said, “Papa says yes.”

He didn’t break anything but it’s pretty clear he’s been picking up a few of my bad habits.

Will we have our hands full by the time he’s three?

Papa says yes.

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Oh yes. Hands full. But he sounds like a smart little cookie.

G. Harrison said...

bobbie, you're right. Smart as a cookie.

Like his Papa?

Cheers,

GAH