Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why don’t I do it in the yard?

I would say that 92.4 per cent of the work done in my workshop is for pleasure and/or profit.

The rest I put down to ‘somebody very close to me (I don’t dare mention her name, especially since we’re 4 days away from our 39th anniversary) thinks one of my birdhouses or chairs will make a lovely house warming gift for someone I don’t know very well.’


["Inside the workshop - for now": photo GAH]

[Yes, I admit it, 97.8 per cent of my materials cost me nothing, but some profit is needed to pay for tools and keep the tiny fridge I have between my work benches stocked with a variety of cold beverages - in case company drops by. Plus, some consideration much be given to my new(er) motorcycle. I occasionally like to splurge, put gas in its tank and take a relaxing ride to the north shore of Lake Erie - and the north shore seems to have no end to interesting spots I like to visit. Sorry, back to my main point, which has not yet been revealed.]

Yesterday, however, profit and/or pleasure aside, I noticed that another accomplished birdhouse builder (in Kensal park, London) fills his yard with his creations so that birds can actually use them.


["Why not in my yard too?": photo GAH]

Lesson learned: I should put more in my own yard for practical use.

I only have two at the moment because one dog and seven cats belonging to close neighbours and a large number of evil squirrels rule the roost around my backyard.

More birdhouses, however, might mean more birds will eventually settle where I can actually see them.

More pleasure for me.

***

Will my plan work? Is more better? How do I keep the darn cats away?

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should definitely put some of your own birdhouses in your own yard as it's a type of free advertising for your work. I wouldn't worry so much about the cats because are pretty fast and it's all nature anyway.

Love that birdhouse with the little trellis; very cottage like.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

I liked the trellis too, so will use it, along with a picket fence, on some of my next creations.

So... out with the hockey stick, in with the trellis.

Cheers

GAH