Sunday, February 22, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: The darker side of stippled ceilings

If anyone ever asks you to paint their textured ceiling - just say no. Tell them you’d rather juggle sharp knives.

If it’s stippled plaster - say nothing. Just run the other way.

Why am I so free with my opinion? Because I’ve spent the last four days painting stippled plaster ceilings (successfully too I might add) for a lovely older couple who charmed me into taking the job with the promise of tea and lemon poppy-seed cake.


["Keep your eye on the prize": photo GAH]

One more ceiling and two more days to go before I take on their kitchen cupboards.

Thank goodness the cupboards aren’t stippled. Just stained and lacquered, so each door will require careful sanding, two coats of primer and two more top coats.

Sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but still far easier than climbing up and down a step ladder 1,000 times per day and gently applying paint to stipple for less than 10 seconds at a time (any longer and the plaster gets too wet and falls into your face) while side-stepping several pieces of expensive furniture.

“Keep you eye on the prize, Gordie,” said my daughter-in-law.

The prize? A new tire, luggage rack and gas money for my first motorcycle trip of the season.

***

Motorcycle season is coming, right?

.

No comments: