Friday, February 27, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: Mason jars will be arriving shortly

In this week’s column I moaned about throwing out my canning gear and said I’d try to find it again.

No need.


The following email arrived at the speed of hydro shortly after my column hit the streets:

“I enjoyed your column today about the strawberries. I have an extra water bath canner and many mason jars that I will gladly give you if you wish to pick them up. Come canning season, you will need to purchase seals and rings for the jars. You would help me declutter a bit plus gain some of the supplies you need.” Judie

Thank you, Judie. Seals and rings I can handle.

All I have to do now is talk my wife into doing some canning.

***

I’m kidding. I think I can can myself. Can you can?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo you lucky man!

Do you think that Judie could teach us? Maybe hold a lesson or two at the South London Community Centre kitchen?

bobbie said...

Have to admit, I've never done any canning. My mom used to line the shelves in the basement with her jams and jellies and preserves. I have her recipes, but never attempted it.

The photo is beautiful, and tempting.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jessica and bobbie,

I think it makes sense to learn from a pro. I bet bobbie would get the hang of it pretty quickly on her own (I think it's in her genes), but Jessica and I and others would likely need pointers.

I'll ask Judie about a lesson or two when I see her next week and get back. Sounds like an idea with legs.

Cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

Last summer I canned dill pickles and peaches. The pickles were YUMMY (much to my surprise) and I haven't been brave enough to try the peaches yet.