Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Point of View: Under 40,000 km. on a 2005 Civic - Excellent

A few days ago, a player on my hockey team accused me of not caring much about the environment after I said I plan to get my motorcycle ready for next Friday the 13th.

(On that day in March, a few thousand hardy bikers will likely show up in Port Dover to celebrate the day. If it’s not snowing, I’m going).

“Hey, you’re supposed to be conserving fuel, Harrison,” said the guy, also a biker.


[Checking out campsite, Agawa Bay: photo GAH]

I didn’t argue with the guy. He’s usually just joking around. Plus, he’s jealous of my stick handling skills and tries to get into my head. (Insert laugh track here).

But he did make me think. How many kilometers am I driving per year? Is it excessive? Could I do better?

After the game I checked my ’05 Civic’s odometer. The car, at 38.5 months old, had registered 39,500 km., a bit over 1,000 km. per month.

My 1984 Virago? 14,000 km. in two years. (I bought it used two years ago with 24,212 km. It too is still under 40,000 km.)

Since my wife uses the car much more than I do I can honestly say I put more miles (and get better gas mileage) on the motorcycle than the Civic.

But could I do better? Sure. However, I give no guarantees this year.

I have two trips already planned and a lot of pent up biking demand!

***

It’s almost motorcycle season, isn’t it?

.

No comments: