Sunday, February 8, 2009

Young at Heart: Ogden Nash taught me that courtships should be short

A reader recently mentioned that Ogden Nash was another of her favourite poets and I recalled that Mr. Nash liked to keep things short.

[See post below and comments for context]

He once wrote, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

Here’s my latest hit single about a courtship that lasted only as long as the couple’s first meal together. 


Don’t Call Me Late for Supper, Mabelene

1. We met at an old country store,
I packed her bags and held open the door.
She asked me how I would feel about a good home-cooked meal,
Mabelene was a peach and much more.
Her folks were away at the fair,
So we danced ‘round her room without a care.
I got lost in her eyes, and hot chicken-pot pie,
And the smell of perfume in her hair.

Don’t call me late for supper, Mabelene,
You are the sweetest girl I’ve ever seen.
You sure are good-looking and I love what you’re cooking...
Don’t call me late for supper, Mabelene.



["Be my Valentine?": Photo link]

2. We got married at sweet seventeen,
Her Mama said, “Boy, don’t treat her mean.”

I said, “You count on me” and that was 1963,
I can’t live without my Mabelene.
At home she’s in charge of the food,
When I cook it don’t taste half as good.
If Mabelene fills my plate, a big smile fills my face,
She’s the best cook in our neighbourhood.

3. Mabelene bought a book from Par-ee,
Each day she tries a French recipe.
I eat all I’m able then lean across the table,
For dessert I always kiss Mabelene.
At night I kiss both of her hands
‘Cause they taste like her strawberry jam.
She comes to no harm when I nibble on her arm,
Mabelene’s the sweetest girl in the land.

Link to Eaton Bennett's photo's here - they really fit the mood.

.

Mabelene is a fair bit like my wife. We married in 1970 and are still going strong.

And she is the sweetest girl I've ever met.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

I just love this post. and your swan Valentine is the best.

G. Harrison said...

Thanks, Bobbie,

The 'swan photo' said more to me than any Valentine card or box of chocolates ever could.

GAH

Anonymous said...

Do you have to make me go teary on a monday morning?

Awwww. I'll give my husband an extra hug when he comes home. Because I appreciate all the work he does so I can cook his meals.

G. Harrison said...

Fair trade, Jessica!

I made you go teary, you gave me a great chuckle with "I appreciate all the work he does so I can cook his meals."

I must say, however, and you're husband may agree, if I did the cooking we'd likely not fare very well (as per the song).

Harrison Hash, anyone? Anyone?

Cheers,

GH

Anonymous said...

He works so I can stay home. It's a win/win situation for us.

He's a good cook too, but tends to use too many pots and pans that I have to clean up.

Harrison Hash sounds like a one-pot meal which would be a bonus.