Thursday, July 29, 2010

Climate Change Concerns: Will 2010 be the hottest year ever?

My first reaction yesterday, once I was entirely covered with sweat and heavy drops were falling from the end of my nose and onto the driveway, was to run inside and change all my clothes.

My t-shirt, after an hour of edging the front lawn, weighed over 10 pounds.


[“Last month was the warmest June ever recorded, according to the national Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). What’s more, it followed three months of record-shattering heat.” July 17, London Free Press]

My shorts, made from rugged cotton and suitable for workshop and yard chores, had turned from light to dark green and - due to the weight of my sweat - were about to fall.

[“In its monthly global snapshot, NOAA said March, April, May and June were all the warmest they’ve ever been.”]

My socks, great for long-distance running because of their ability to soak up and disperse sweat, were dispersing the excess to the soles of my feet. I felt like I was surfing.


[“June’s average temperature was about 0.68 C hotter than the 20th-century average for the month. The previous record was set in 2005.”]

My shoes were making a funny sloshing sound and leaving a wet imprint on the cement driveway.

[“According to NOAA, each of the 10 warmest average global temperatures recorded since 1880 have been in the past 15 years. So far, 2010 is on its way to being the warmest year ever.”]

An impulse grabbed me. Run inside - change your clothes. Survive.

[“If the heat continues to rise, 2010 will bet out 2005 for warmest year on record.”]

I said to myself, yes, but if I change, I’ll just soak more clothes and my laundry basket will weigh over 100 pounds.

So I resisted the urge to change and slowly carried edger trimmings to the backyard. With the help of popsicles, and a break to play hockey, I lived to face another day.

***

I don’t have a swimming pool.

I may set up the sprinkler, but not to water the lawn.

Am I too old to jump through a sprinkler?

What will the neighbours think?

Please click here to read other Climate Change Concerns.

.

No comments: