Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Workshop: Busy times in the shed

Before leaving on a motorcycle trip in early June, I participated - as a short, good-looking vendor - in Gathering on the Green in Wortley Village.

And while selling birdhouses and 'memory boxes' (enough to pay for gas and a down-payment on a special souvenir) I was approached by three separate individuals and asked to take part in upcoming events as 'the birdhouse guy.'

When asked I thought, the birdhouse guy? Do I want to be the birdhouse guy? Do I want 'the birdhouse guy' written on my gravestone? Would it overshadow my planned epitaph - "See? I told you I was sick."


["Two-offs from rescued lumber.": phptos GH]

After much thought I said 'yes' to 66.6 per cent of the invitations.


["More two-offs from easy-to-reach lumber"]

So, though now back from Halifax and primed to write about my adventures, I've been busy in The Shed or workshop.


["Rescued plywood and an old birdhouse. What to do?"]

In order to reach some superb lumber that is hidden in the far corner of The Annex I've been turning easy-to-reach scraps into one-offs. Or two-offs.


["I made four new-and-modified versions of the same thing"]

Nothing is safe from the saw, or from becoming trim.


["I now feel compelled to add trim to every birdhouse. It must be the heat."]

By mid-August, in time for the next sale, I should have more new houses than I can shake a stick at.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you make me one of the ones in the last picture...or something similar?

Matt

Gord H. said...

matt,

i'll set one aside out of the last batch of four. it comes w a 50 year guarantee!! (I'll be 110 in 50 years but still able to make any minor repairs).

gh